Friday, October 26, 2007

What You Eating For ?

I’ve been busier than a Baghdad brickie of late. The powers that be here at ‘Masters-Of-The-Dark-Arts-Inc’ have been working me like a fuckin pit pony. In the last fortnight I’ve been in Sheffield for a few days then back here for a day then I was in Ballina for a week, got back last night and tomorrow I’m off to Boston for a week. The rock and roll lifestyle of a travelling software engineer, it’s like being famous only shite. Sheffield’s not up to much, big University town, lots of unwashed students and fuck all else. The drive from Sheffield to Manchester along the Snake Path over the Pennines is very pretty though. It’s very similar to Glendalough in terms of lakes, trees and hills and shit but on a much bigger scale. Ballina is a stereotypical Irish town, old and decrepit in places, all new and shiny in others. It has the appearence of a place that has a higher than average amount of inbreeding but more bars than you can shake a ham sandwich at. So it all works out. Apparently there are 99 licensed premises in Ballina but I doubt somehow that they are all still operating. It has some good restaurants too, such as Dillon’s, Murphy’s and Crocket’s. The hotel restaurant was terribly over priced though with a steak costing a massive 39.00 Euro. At that price I expected the whole fucking bullock but all I got was an admittedly succulent fillet about the size of my fist and at that price I truly felt fisted. Crocket’s is the sort of place where you have to catch your own Racoon and they fashion a hat out of whatever you don’t eat. Murphy’s had a huge fish tank just inside the door and on closer inspection one could find lobster arseing about at the bottom of it. The menu proudly offered live lobster at the top of its fish list, I glanced at the fish tank, sizing them up, I might have had a go at a dead one but I’d be fucked if I was putting a live one into my gob. They could fuck away off with their live lobster, I was in a restaurant dagnamit and at the very least I had expected the cunts to cook.

No comments: